Skip to content

Wetzel Insurance Agency Blog

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Insurance

Do You Need Flood Insurance?

With all of the horrible flooding in some areas of the Midwest, we thought it would be a good time to talk about flood damage. Put simply, your homeowner’s insurance policy does not cover flood damage. You must have a separate flood insurance policy if you want to be protected. People outside of high risk flood zones actually file over 20% of claims. In that case, even if you are outside of a standard flood area, you should still talk to your local agent about flood coverage. The average home is almost 3 times more likely to have flood damage than fire damage. Flooding can be dangerous and destructive, so make sure you are protected before an incident happens. You must carry your policy for at least 30 days before it will cover anything. This means you cannot add it on last minute. You need to plan ahead and make sure your home is protected. Flash floods happen in all 50 states. Many areas that most people assume are safe, in reality, could be affected by a flash flood. One caveat is that if your basement is flooded by a burst pipe, then it might be covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy. Be sure to verify this with your insurance agent. Water damage caused by a storm will not be covered.